To create a shortcut to an application or location on the desktop (Ubuntu 12+), on terminal run –
Method 1: Installing Gnome Panel
- if a shortcut is being created for the first time,[code]sudo apt-get install gnome-panel[/code]
, else directly do step 2.
- [code]gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ –create-new[/code]
- In the launcher-creation window choose the type and location of the target. Click OK.
Method 2: For application shortcuts only
If shortcut to an installed application is to be created –
- Go to Home Folder –> File System –> usr –> share –> applications.
- Right click your favourite icon, choose Copy To –> Desktop
(from mhdizam’s comment, verified working)
Kj [/.] Sreekumar programs computers as a hobby and profession. Into programming from his school days, Sree uses Codemarvels to key in facts and fixes he finds interesting while working on different projects. Some of the articles here give away a few shades of his philosophical leanings too.