Install JDK on Ubuntu manually without depending on PPAs –
- Select the required package from here – http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html. Download the jdk-[version].bin file from the downloads page.
- Make the downloaded file runnable; Eg – sudo chmod +x jdk-6u32-linux-x64.bin
- Run this file; Eg- sudo ./jdk-6u32-linux-x64.bin
- Move the newly created folder to /usr/lib/jvm/. Eg – sudo mv jdk1.6.0_32 /usr/lib/jvm/ (Optionally change the user of this folder to yourselves)
- Add the newly added jdk to known java command option –
- Choose the new java, javac and javaws by running commands-
Run java -version to verify installation. Cheers!
Kj [/.] Sreekumar programs computers as a hobby and profession. Into programming from his school days, Sree uses Codemarvels to key in facts and fixes he finds interesting while working on different projects. Some of the articles here give away a few shades of his philosophical leanings too.